Spooky Little Pirates and First Yarns

Last night was so much fun!  I was worried that Jake wouldn’t get into the spirit of Halloween, but boy was I wrong.  We went costume shopping and he chose an adorable pirate costume.  We went out to lunch (which he ate all of, for a change) and came home and carved pumpkins.  That was an adventure, too.  Jake kept grabbing the carving tools and stabbing the back of the pumpkin with them.  LOL  After we finished carving, we got Jake into his costume and took off early to trick or treat.  It was supposed to rain later in the evening, but the sky was looking darker and darker, so we chose to take him early.  We left about 5 pm and it was still light out, but there were already a few of the littler kids out.  We didn’t go out for long, only about 45 minutes, but it was great fun.  Jake rang all the doorbells (that he could reach) by himself and he remembered to say Trick or Treat at almost every house.  He was also very polite, saying thank you and Happy Halloween to everyone.   After we came home was when the real fun started for him, though.  His favorite part of Halloween wasn’t the dressing up, or even the candy, it was helping answer the door and give out candy when other kids came.  He got such a big kick out of the costumes and seeing all the kids. Once he even tried to leave with a group of kids; it was adorable.  He was really upset when it was time to call it a night and go to bed. 🙂

After Jake went to bed I had my own little Halloween treat.  Not a candy treat, but a fibery one.  First I got three packages in the mail:  my hand dyed silk hankies (gorgeous), some Wesleyndale (I think I spelled that right) fiber that’s undyed for a fun Kool-aide project and a gorgeous package of merino top in shades of spring green.  YUMMY.  The best part was that the “aha” moment of spinning hit me.  I realized that my drafting had improved tremendously and that my singles were more consistent than they have ever been.  I took the singles I’d been spinning off my spindle and I grabbed some singles that I spun a few weeks ago.  It was time for a plying experiment.  I tried the “handy plying” method and it worked fairly well.  It’s not the prettiest yarn in the world, but the singles weren’t very pretty to begin with.  It’s still drying with weight on it as it’s a bit overspun even in its plied state, but I’m still proud of it.  Pictures to follow when we finally find the digital camera.  It can only get better from here. 🙂

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s